Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Elk Hunt










I just got back from the elk hunt. This was the first time all nine of our group had drawn out for an elk tag so we knew we were in for a lot of work. We left the Hutcheon's house at 4:00 a.m. and headed out to Redd Ranches. As you can see from the picture this is one of the prettiest places to spend a couple of days looking to put meat in the freezer.



We had a good hunt and were able to get 8 of the nine elk. My younger sister was the only one that didn't get one but we look at that as kind of a blessing because what are we really going to do with 800 pounds of meat that we can't do with 600. Here is a picture of the meat locker with all of our elk hanging up.















I got my elk Saturday morning, my younger brother and I were sitting above a little canyon filled with scrub oak and aspen. As the sun came up we started to hear a bull bugling above us. I started cow calling and slowly moving a little closer to the herd. After a couple of minutes of this, an elk came walking through the trees to see what we were. One shot later I had my tag filled.








I guess the highlight of the trip was when we got to the butcher shop and Kiana and Spencer were there to meet us.


Overall we had a good time. I enjoy just being in the mountains and relaxing. The Hutcheons are a fantastic family to hang out with and I love the elk hunting tradition we have with them.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow! That's a lot of tags you guys filled. Glad you guys were successful!

Hall Family said...

I like Spencer's cute outfit! In the last pic he looks like "what in the world is going on?!" haha Congrats on getting your elk!

Jam-Master J said...

I would like to call a "BS" on this one. This is the younger brother there when he shot his elk and it did not take a single shot. It took several shots! We knew we had it after one shot, but then again, going into it we knew it was already down before the shot was fired. But in actuality it took about eight shots and a refusal to use a hand-gun to get his elk down.